Sunday 6 April 2014

Thief savegame corruption

I am a HUGE fan of the thief series ever since I played the first thief. I have played all the thief series so I was very excited at the announcement of Thief 4 by Eidos Montreal. Unfortunatly there appears to be a bug in the game that has also affected me. At time of writing I am not aware of any patches, but Eidos has revealed that they are aware of the problem and taking it seriously.

I am one of the persons affected by this so I wanted to see if there is anything I can do to get this working because I did not want to start the game all over again and lose all my hard worked thieving progress. While I am not saying what I found is the solution, I am only saying this worked for me and I can only hope it works for everyone else. I emailed SquareEnix on the 3rd of April with this but all I got was a standard "we are aware.....patience...etc" response even though I clearly outlined it wasn't a service request.

So what did I find:

 Specifically, at a random point in the game the savegame stops functioning.
The following symptoms are experienced upon the execution of the problem:
1)Regardless of save method eg. quicksave, manual save, the game keeps reverting back to a fixed save point.
2)All save games are overwritten with the one savegame that is reverted to during load.
3)This problem exists on all platforms when browsing forums for the issue.
My experience is on the PC version bought on dvd disks but uses Steam.

Before trying this BACKUP your game and game data. If you are not confident, wait for a solution patch to emerge.

In my investigation to attempt to solve the problem I have found the following that solved it:
1)Disable steam synch for thief.
2)Delete save game files from ../steam/userdata/<userid?>/<thiefid>/remote/
3) Delete remotecache.vdf file from ../steam/userdata/<userid?>/<thiefid>/
4)Run thief. Ignore message regarding corrupted slot and do not start new game as requested by the software.
5)Exit game.
6)Delete profile.sav as in path in 2) above, Delete remotecache.vds as in path in 3) above.
7)Re-enable steam synch for thief 4 and allow steam cloud stored files to be rebuilt in the above paths.
8)Run game and test if save works. In my testing, it worked.
In addition, prior to finding the above solution, I discovered I could get the savegame to work again if I reverted my system clock back to the date shown on the overwritten savegame files. I was able to replicate the date reversion work around every time -This as it turns out has been discovered by others who found forwarding the date past April 1st works. I had already tried forwarding the date but that did not work for me and it appears it wont for windows 8 users (I have windows 8.1).
If my solution has worked for you, leave a comment!

No comments :

Post a Comment