Wednesday 23 April 2014

Oculus Rift and Star Trek Voyager

Some people have all the fun, and wow don't I want to be that person who is featured in the youtube video below wearing an Oculus rift and walking through the bridge of Voyager!

Download this Demo

Looking at the demo which was built with the unreal engine, and comparing that to the early attempts in virtual reality which I have actually used, I'd have to use a variation of Scotty's words in the opening scenes of Star Trek:Generations, "Damn fine VR Device if you ask me", and that pretty much sums it up.
This demo spectacularly demonstrates the potential of Oculus Rift as a mechanism to 'enter' another world. Neither the events of Star Trek Voyager nor the ship itself is real, but to be able to walk around it as if it were is absolutely incredible. I think that it is time to start saving for it and the best part of that is Oculus Rift is aimed at providing virtual reality at a more affordable cost.

Just to tease you some more, here is another video I found on youtube


Well done to the team at Oculus VR.

No comments :

Post a Comment