Friday 29 January 2016

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, the completed game review for the remastered version.


I have now been able to play the re-mastered version of Uncharted:Drakes Fortune to completion on 'Crushing' difficulty. Yes, on that difficulty, that was my first play through! Why play on easy when a world of challenge awaits!

In the previous early play-through review I indicated that I am not a fan of Third Person Perspective(tpp) games but Uncharted could be the game that changes that. I also mentioned other things about the game that I absolutely loved. So do I retract any of it, do I add anything to it, do I have any moans about it? Let's begin this journey into Uncharted:Drakes Fortune and find out!



More than not liking 3rd person perspective games', I absolutely loath playing action games with the controller. I am a mouse and keyboard guy and that love will stay thank you very much. However if I were to play a third person perspective game, it would certainly be with a controller. So uncharted had two things going against it; One is that it is being played by a guy who hates tpp games, and secondly, hates playing it(action game) with a controller. What a challenge Naughty Dog, so how did you do? Very well, thank you!



Yes that's right, Naughty Dog absolutely nailed it. From the moment the game started with the introduction video, you were drawn into the story -you just don't realise it then. What becomes immediately obvious soon is how amazingly seamless this game is at transitioning from cinematic to player control. Throughout the game the flow happens several times, sometimes in between quick succession cinematics where you have to hit some keys to keep the cinematic rolling(and keeping Nathan alive of course). I have never seen any game pull it off so smoothly; the adventure suddenly has a new protagonist, YOU. Often times cinematics in games seem disjointed and where transitions are present, are rough, sudden, even curt. Uncharted fixes this and does it right.

It is hard to find games that are rich in story and rich in environment. That marriage is present in Uncharted:Drakes fortune thus making it the best adventure game I have ever played. The rich scenery, the lush forest, the fauna, all very nicely done. No game can produce real water effects yet, but with uncharted it does not matter at all. The environment gives plenty of excuses for artificial water effects; so much so that you wont even notice.

This game was quite difficult in action scenes on crushing difficulty. There were places where you can get stuck and only after so many deaths, might you work out that in fact there is a better way to win it. The ending scene is one very good example of that. No hints are given and you keep dying until you work out that the scene itself is a puzzle! Once you work out that puzzle, the game is won in a matter of seconds in that scene. There were a hand full of annoyances but they are too minor to talk about. Little moans like "why cant I carry more than two weapons"? As a fan of the Doom series of games, I am used to carrying everything I find. However after finishing uncharted, you realise that in fact you really did not need to carry any more than primary, side arm, and a pocket full of grenades.

It is very hard to find an adventure game that would make Indiana Jones look like an amature BUT at the same time engrossing the player so tightly, you wont want it to end, you wont want to put the controller down, you might not even want to eat! In my opinion, no game comes close to this amazing adventure story that has to be lived through. Everyone must go out and get this! It is a playstation exclusive title, so go get a ps4 too just cause it's Uncharted. This game is now the new benchmark for all adventure games. Top spot Naughty Dog and Sony, and thanks for bringing me an adventure, like nothing I have ever experienced before.

No comments :

Post a Comment