Wednesday 4 June 2014

I have experienced Oculus Rift

Today was an amazing day. It would be an amazing day for any Oculus Rift enthusiast. It was so amazing because today for the very first time I got to use Oculus Rift. First impressions is "WOW".
Before I discuss this I would like to express thanks to the team at CoLab at AUT (Auckland University of Technology) for demoing the work they are doing with Oculus Rift. The place is amazing and a techies dream because there is so much going on in there. If you have a strong interest in working on great new technology, that is the place to be.

My impressions of Oculus Rift can only be compared to the very first VR technology I experienced and I have to say this is leaps and bounds better. I did not feel disorientated at all, at all. I turn my head and the scene moves as expected but it works so well it actually feels truly like I was in the room and I had turned my head inside the room. I could not detect any perceivable delays between when I  moved my head and the scene changes provided by the system in response. It was explained to me that the system can anticipate human movement as it is more predictable than we realise. "Like cache hit and cache miss for humans" I joked although this is probably the best way to describe it.

The only issue was the grainy image quality through the lens and some distortion however unless you are specifically looking to pull every little thing about it apart, it didn't seem to affect immersion. I am so impressed by it I cant wait to have one of my own.

Once again thanks everyone in CoLabs at AUT for this opportunity to experience Oculus Rift, you have made me very happy!

No comments :

Post a Comment