Wednesday 27 April 2016

Netflix New Zealand

So I signed up to Netflix in the weekend after, about a month ago, switching my internet connection to unlimited (no data cap).

It has been wonderful to watch content they have on there, especially those programs that are not currently screening on television (New Zealand television).

Before signing up, there were a lot of competition to filter through. In New Zealand there are:
  • Lightbox
  • Igloo
  • TVNZ on demand (free)
  • TV3 on demand (free)
  • Sky TV on demand
  • Neon
  • Quickflix
  • Netflix
  • Apple TV
  • Google Play
  • Probably missed a few.....!
Unfortunately one cannot just sign up to all of them (except for the free ones, you can do it for free ones) -too much money.

I read reviews, I talked to friends and others about what they use and what they recommend. I read peoples experiences with the ones they use. I soon realised that there is no one size fits all so I bit the bullet and picked Netflix.

The reason for netflix is partly because I had to pick one thing and partly because of what I am expecting rather than what is available now in content. It is a different kind of choice than one would pick intuitively; pick one that currently has content that is wanted. The way I saw it, all of them will have some content I want and some I don't but which one has the better chance in future of having content I will probably want. That quickly narrowed it down to Lightbox and Netflix. I picked Netflix primarily because they have a larger track record of what they do and how they operate; I like what they have done for the US market and I am hoping for more of the same eventually from them here.

The choice was also simpler in that there is no contract so I can always change anytime I wanted. Unlike phone based internet service, I could sign up for free trials to other services and experience it at the same time to compare which one I should switch to if I so desired.

So how is Netflix?
As will be the exact same tune from all the other services, "I wish there was currently more content!". With that out of the way, it is great. Netflix also supports Ultra HD as does my TV and also has content already for it. Ultra HD, according to Netflix, requires 25 Mbps connection which is well outside my ADSL2+ connection. However soon Fibre will be connected here so that is a non issue.

A friend has pointed out that streaming 4k content is never as good as direct from Blu-ray 4k content. While this is very true, however, currently the 4k content on Netflix is a damn sight better than a blu-ray 1080 HD content. Further to that, I can't "on-demand" blu-rays, and they cost more to buy/rent than monthly Netflix subscription. A Ultra HD capable netflix subscription will cost you about 4 dollars a week.

Was it worth getting? Short answer....I am not bored anymore. Let's skip the long answer, short answer is all you need.

No comments :

Post a Comment